BET Wins Cable Positive POP Awards' 'Network of the Year' for HIV/AIDS-Related Programming
June 24, 2005
BET on Monday received the "Network of the Year" honor at the Fourth Annual Cable Positive POP (Positively Outstanding Programming) Awards for its original HIV/AIDS-related programming, according to a Cable Positive release. BET also received the honor for "Outstanding Public Service Announcement" for its "Rap-It-Up" campaign (Cable Positive release, 6/21). BET, in partnership with the Kaiser Family Foundation, launched Rap-It-Up in 1998 to educate and inform black youth about sexual health issues, including HIV/AIDS. The campaign, now in its seventh season, includes full-length shows, public service announcements, online content on BET.com and a free booklet for viewers on sexual health issues. The campaign is the single-largest public education effort on HIV/AIDS and related issues directed toward the black community (Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report, 10/18/04). Other POP Award winners include:
- Outstanding Biographical Program: "Naked Truth 3" on BET;
- Outstanding Documentary: "Dangerous Deception: Living on the Down Low" on the Discovery Health Channel;
- Outstanding News Coverage: "Are You Positive?" on CNN;
- Outstanding Original Film/Movie: "Walking on Sunshine" on BET;
- Outstanding Original Series: "Nip/Tuck" episode 15 on FX;
- Outstanding Special Programming: "106 & Park: World AIDS Day" on BET; and
- Outstanding Community Partnership: "I Found PSA," the AIDS Service Center and Time Warner Cable of New York and New Jersey (Cable Positive release, 6/21).
Reprinted with permission from kaisernetwork.org. You can view the entire Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report, search the archives, and sign up for E-mail delivery at http://www.kaisernetwork.org/dailyreports/hiv. The Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report is published for kaisernetwork.org, a free service of the Kaiser Family Foundation, by The Advisory Board Company. © 2005 by The Advisory Board Company and Kaiser Family Foundation. All rights reserved.
Send this page to a friend >>